Saturday, December 6

The attack of "Kirby"...

As I was getting ready to leave the tent this morning, I gave Omar instructions that I wanted him to vacuum the tent floor as his traipsing in and out had made quite a mess of things... He nodded that he would accomplish this mundane task in my absence so I left.

After having a few cups of McDonalds worst coffee I decided it was time to return to the tent and see about the progress that Omar was making.  

As I got out of the car, I detected an odor like burning trash and noticed some slight tendrils of smoke coming from around the tent flap.

As I approached the flap I heard this terrible shrieking and humming noise coming from within the tent.  As I quickly entered the tent what should I see but Omar, on the floor, on his back with the smoking vacuum cleaner lying on top of his writhing form and the business end of it covering his turban covered head.  

I quickly went to the wall and unplugged the vacuum and then went over to lift if off Omar's prostrate form.  I couldn't seem to lift it off his face without his head following it so after closer examination, I saw that Omar's beard, or what was left of it seemed to be wrapped around the beater bar of the vacuum.

After a lot of screaching and thrashing around I was able to untangle his beard from the beater bar and finally was able to extricate Omar from the vacuum cleaner.  I sat the vacuum to the side and helped Omar up from the tent floor.  Although definitely worse for wear, his beard or what was left of it was still attached to his wretched face.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for him and after fixing him a hot toddy, I asked him how in the hell did the vacuum cleaner manage to eat half his beard??? He tells me that many times he watched me use the vacuum cleaner and observed how it managed to make the mess on the tent floor disappear and he really wanted to know where the mess went.  

Well, it seems that whilst the vacuum was running, he turned it over and wanted to make a close inspection of the dirt eating part of it... You can imagine the rest... I tell ya, I should write a book about these episodes of his...


• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •