Saturday, January 10

Awwwww shucks...

Yesterday, after returning to the tent from various commitments, Omar was beside himself and quickly let me know that he was expecting me earlier and that he had something for me.

I sat down and he got the little box that was so neatly wrapped in color comics and handed it to me.

Gingerly would describe the method I used to unwrap this little gift from him.

Inside, I found a lock of hair, a little rubber ball and a small piece of paper with some arabic written on it.

I explained to Omar that arabic was not a language that I was able to read so he told me, it says "Everlasting greatness to the caretaker of my camel".  I smiled, gently, and thanked him... then I had to know about the 'lock of hair and the little rubber ball.'

He snickered a little bit and said to me "they were Achmed's".  Now I am both alarmed and amused and wonder just what part they played in Achmed's life...

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

No comments: